• Numerous well designed studies have shown that homebirth, with
trained midwives has safer outcomes for healthy low risk women than
• Birth without drugs is safer for mother and baby
• Mothers can labor where and how they choose
• Upright positions make labor and delivery less painful and more
• Nourishment during labor helps the body work more efficiently
• Physical and emotional closeness with husband/support person
• Less disruption of family and daily life
• Family bonding is enhanced
A UNIQUE VIEW OF CHILDBIRTH
• A midwife views childbirth as a normal physiologic process. She is
the guardian of normal pregnancy and childbirth and understands that
meeting a woman’s physical and emotional needs eases the transition
• The care given by a midwife effectively prevents many problems
caused by inadequate nutrition, unnecessary drug use, medical
intervention, emotional problems, isolation and lack of knowledge.
CONTINUITY OF CARE
• A midwife is a consistent caregiver during the childbearing year,
spending many hours with her clients.
SUPPORT AND EMPATHY
• A midwife is a source of support and encouragement to the
laboring woman, partner and family. She carefully observes and assists
her clients, reinforcing their abilities and using many different techniques
to ease discomforts.
CHOICE OF BIRTH PLACE
• Midwives practice in a variety of birthing environments such as
private homes, birth centers and hospitals. Midwives Support the right
of parents to choose where and with whom they will give birth.
• Midwives worldwide have an excellent record of safety. In the
industrialized countries of western Europe midwives deliver over 70% of
babies and have lower rates of infant and maternal mortality, lower
cesarean rates and lower health care costs.
What about cost?
Homebirth Services provides complete maternity care for less than half of
the cost of a normal hospital delivery. Your initial consultation is free of
charge. Most insurance companies reimburse for care with Licensed